Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 13:14:28 +0800

>Garrick, I'm ashamed of you. I agree with Emeraldas that you're presuming
>that our armed forces would just sit still and wait. We have some of the
>best, if not the best, jungle reconaissance forces in the world. One of the
>reasons why we have the Joint Forces Agreement between the US and the
>Philippines was made in the first place is to train their special forces for
>jungle environments. WE lend THEM expertise in these matters - our special
>forces have been known to go in with a single knife through enemy infested
>territory. In the 1987 coup, 30 Scout Rangers (Philippine elite unit) held
>off 500 regular army units from inside a hotel for three days.

The scout rangers are trained to go for months in the jungle with minimum
equipment, live off the land and just generally keep their eyes out for
something fishy. In the event of a military operation, they act as forward
recon and sabotage units -- even going as far as neutralizing perimeter
defenses, if need be. And they usually only have a combat knife, a bolo
and a rifle and whatever special weapon they need. They are also superb
hand to hand combatants, trained to kill as fast and as silently as
possible. for every bullet used after a mission, they do a certain amount
of pushups. It encourages them to be m ore silent, and more deadly. I
know about this, because my father was a hand to hand trainer way back
before Marcos took over. They are also good snipers, by the way.

>Were pretty well trained because of the insurgency problem as well. The only
>thing that keeps it honest and in check is the Philippine military - we have
>our secret form of the Waffen SS here that keeps them in check + our special
>forces and army units go on hunting sprees looking for human heads as a form
>of "training". Nothing quite like actual combat experience to keep you
>hardened.

Yes, the Aguila units were an urban anti-insurgency squad, primarily
dealing with The NPA Sparrow assassin squads. There are also a whole slew
of "urban tactics" units and "special operations" groups...all of whom
are technically gevernment hitmen or hit squads, designed to take out
terror units and other such before they can achieve their objectives. They
are also used in counter-insurgency and internal intelligence...however,
the present government bungled with the current situation in the south by
hyping it and by hemming and hawing. if they were like Fidel Ramos, he
would simply have sent in the scout rangers or some other special forces
group.

>My ancestors fought on almost every invader to hit our shores. We threw away
>the Spaniards then were subdued by the Americans. Against the Japanese, we
>needed help. If the call to arms were made, I'd do the same - as I think
>many of us would here.

yep. no question about it... I would be scared, but hey, it's either that
or subjugation.

>I don't think so. The nation's government would be taken over in a day or
>two like Japan did. But resistance fighters would make it hell living here.
>Case in point: the Japanese weren't ever comfortable over here - even though
>they were better armed and equipped - the Filipinos would fight with knives
>and bolos if they had to.

Yes, the HukBaLaHap made life very difficult for the Japanese. They had
the capital and the larger towns, yes..but the rest was iffy.

>> on one hand, filipinos are not
>> nearly as hostile and cruel as indonesians,
>You probably don't know about the atrocities done by our own militias
>designed to police the communist rebels. We have our own tally sheet for
>cruelty here.

Infamous special forces tactic: find insurgency squad's hometown/base. do
a lightning blitz, careful not to spill blood as much as possible. This
means women and children have been captured. put said people in a cargo
container. drop container in the middle of the sulu sea later. arrange
hometown to look like everybody just disappeared, nothing out of place.
Leave, let the enemy force discover it. by that time, tracking down
another enemy force's hometown, and r4epeat procedure...do this as fast as
possible. do this to about three enemy force units, then stop. randomly
pick a time to start again a few months down the road. then stop. repeat
whole procedure. And never advertise which of your own forces are doing
it. let them guess.

That was done inthe marcos era...it's a bit different now.

>but that's
>> of little comfort when the bullets, bombs and arms and
>> legs start flying. but i suppose this is hard to
>> understand if you're not an expatriate of one kind or
>> another.
>In all honesty, you'd probably be killed without any concern about human
>rights if the Filipinos ever won a conflict like that against the Chinese.
>My grandfather was attached to the War Crimes division after the WWII. Many
>Japanese candy vendors and gardeners (some of whom were innocent of the )
>were killed atrociously by Filipino zealots after the war - but no one tried
>to run out and persecute them.
>Fed

yes, this is true. it's a standard reaction historically common in the
philippines.

..silence is the language of the heart...

Richard Ramos

ICQ 12914919, 09174024780 (cel)

if you want to see some of my work, go over to www.localvibe.com
if you like japanese cartoon robots, subscribe to mechapinoy@egroups.com