Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 12:13:40 +0800

At 10:37 04/22/2000 PDT, you wrote:
>I dont believe Japan CAN develop a nuclear alternative, can they? I mean,
>they can't have a full-fleged Armed Services or anything like that, all they
>can have is the Self-Defense Forces as per the surrender after WWII....is
>this correct?

        I think, for all practical purposes, the Japanese Self-Defense
Forces are more than capable of fighting a limited war. Their Constitution
(sorry, Tet, if I got this wrong) just prohibit them from being the aggressor.

        Don't forget, they get a lot of military hardware from the US, and
they regularly update their tank designs -- I don't recall seeing the
Japanese army ever using any US tanks.

        As for nuclear alternatives, Japan already have several nuclear
reactors. The theory and infrastructure is all there, it's not a big leap.