Federico Makabenta (yenm@iconn.com.ph)
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 10:17:19 +0800

> > Are Sonmay and Ever Anime CDs bootleg CDs?

Sonmay CDs are manufactured in Taiwan and repackaged with reprinted liner
notes from the original. I'm not too sure of the legality of the stuff - but
Taiwan isn't part of the WTO since it isn't recognized as a "nation" so to
speak because of China's insistence that it be considered a rogue province.

Sonmay CDs are available in most South East Asian Nations and are priced as
cheaply like most big label CDs here, around $10.00 - as opposed to say
First World Nations like the US and Japan. Maybe these were made with the
Asian market in mind - I dunno. But considering that a lot of pirated anime
products come from Taiwan and Hong Kong - I wouldn't be surprised.

Oh yeah, I own the entire Evangelion CD Sonmay set - the sound quality is
just as good as some Japanese originals I have (some Ranma themes). I dunno
how say the Yoko Kanno Turn A Gundam Symphony would sound like under them -
I never trust Jazz and Classical music to bootleggers and non-quality
companies anyway.

Caveat Emptor then when approaching Sonmay then.

Fed