-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 13:25:56 -0700

At 07:54 4/22/2000, you wrote:
>As for armed pacifists, the irony is as long as we continue to over breed
and
>tree-pee I and others like me will of necessity continue to defend our right
>to dream of a time when humanity progresses past the terrible two's of
"MINE"
>and "NO" to kindergarten and sharing.

Just so there's no misunderstanding here, I was not ridiculing pacifism nor
pacifists who bear arms in self defense. My screed against militant
pacifists was just that, an observation that a pacifist gone militant --
turned aggressor, not defender -- is more dangerous than an outright aggressor.

With six billion of us on the planet, I agree that we no longer have the
luxury or many of the traditional ways of living. If the population
reaches a point where it is no longer sustainable, it will decline
precipitously to a much lower level. In addition to War, there is also
Famine, Pestilence and Death to consider -- overpopulation is, in the long
term, self-correcting. The question is how much of the rest of the Earth
will be lost along with what Ebenezer Scrooge called the "surplus" population.

To put thing into perspective, mass-extinction is nothing new to this
planet and virtually everything above the microscopic level has been killed
off at least three times in the Earth's history. Our recorded history goes
back, depending on whom you consult, a mere 10,000 to 35,000
years. Humanity as a species is at least a thousand times that old and
mammals have been dominant for about 50 million years. The dinosaurs ruled
the Earth for three times that span and, although they are gone (or
transformed into birds) the shark, which preceded them, is still going
strong, unchanged for nearly 200 million years.

Where will we be a million years from now?

A lot find out there if we do.

-Z-