Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 00:40:29 MST

>Coming from a small nation that's always been under one influewnce or the
>other, I say that a nation must always strive to not get into war, but be
>damn prepared for it anyway.

The problem with this is, by the time a nation build's up it's military
power to the point where it feels secure, all that firepower generally makes
ajoining nations nervous. They will, in turn, build up their own militaries
to counter this threat. Now the original nation no longer feels secure, so
they buy still more weapondry ... and so it continues untill one or both
nations goes bankrupt.

Arms races are generally wasteful and pointless (unless you happen to be in
the armaments manufacturing business of course :-) but they are also
extremely difficult to avoid.