garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 23:49:17 -0700 (PDT)

pointless vs senseless, what's the difference?

all wars ARE pointless.

that a war is being fought in the first place
indicates a complete breakdown of human thought
processes. people, though they might be individually
smart, in great numbers have a capacity for great
stupidity (me included). there may be logic to the
leaders that ignite war, but they are ultimately
pointless to everyone else involved. who is the
greater fool -- the fool or the people who follow the
fool?

can a war be just? i don't think so. it's sometimes
necessary, but never justified. we humans just have
this need to make ourselves feel good, rid ourselves
of guilt and rationalize why we make war (ironically
-- it's our rationalizations that never ever make
sense...sometimes i think dolphins have it good). no
matter how lofty the ideal you hold, i don't believe
it justifies destruction (i try not to think in terms
of good vs. evil, so i just classify war as a
destructive act. it works for me). people who believe
that idealisms and creeds are worth more than real
things (like other people) think too highly of
themselves. religious wars come to mind. may all the
participants die soonest. >:P

war produces the most technology, but if that's the
price of technology, i'm not sure it's worth it. :P

absolute pacifism....on a small scale (individual)
seems to be feasible. somewhere in the transition to
the global scale, it becomes unworkable.

will humans outgrow the cycle of war? i hate to admit
that i don't think so. on this whole subject of war
there's no good enough answer.

the line from robotech/macross echoes in my noggin:
"only where there is war being waged, is there life
being lived...there is nothing quite like war to make
us question why we live". i think this was most
recently reprised by treize in gundam wing. :)

me, i think life is a big joke (not necessarily
funny). and death is...you know how it goes. :D

-garrick