Emery Calame (palaeomerus@excite.com)
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 00:58:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 23:15:02 MST, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> Actually I've done some thinking along these lines. For some time now
I've
> had a story idea bouncing around in the back of my head about a group of
> brilliant pacifist scientists who have built their own utopian colony.
It
> would be geographically distant from most of the rest of the human race
(if
> I set this in the Gundam universe one of Jupiter's trojan points would be
> good candidate). However, all the major factions want to conquer this
group
> of scientists in order to acquire their advanced technology. To combat
> this, some of the less ardently pacifistic scientists hire a group of
> mercenaries to defend their colony. However, in order to keep the mercs
> from "contaminating" the scientist's idealistic society, they are forced
> live apart, defenders of the colony, but never truly part of it (so
they're
> stuck out in the back of beyond with no company except each other
fighting
> battles a bunch of ungrateful pacifists).

I think you need more motivation for the attackers than super technology
though you might be able to mess with the idea of an immortality serum or
spice melange or maybe a super mineral. Any brand of rare unobtanium should
do the trick.

Anyway it sounds similar to Area 88 as far as the the theme goes...

Emery
(palaeomerus@excite.com)