Vince Leon (vleon@u.arizona.edu)
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:20:28 -0700

Puff Daddy Z writes

MIRRORS

There's a better way, of course. Instead of one big honking mirror for
each skylight, how about eight mirrors, each covering an area 3.2
kilometers square?

                           \
                        \ |
                     \ | |
                  \ | | |
               \ | | | |
            \ | | | | |
         \ | | | | | |
      \ | | | | | | |
   /+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+\
  | | | | | | | | | | |
(| +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+ |)
  | |
   \-------------------------/

Nice, solid attachment -- but a lot harder to draw, which is probably why
we ended up with the three strip mirrors in the first place. You could
make these complete rings around the cylinder, too, and line the hull with
solar-electric panels. Or you could dispense with mirrors entirely and use
prisms, achieving the same "staircase" effect without extending so far out.

I really like this idea, this seems a little more realistic. I've always
wondered about all those gees acting on the end of those three mirrors.
 How would you generate "night", by rotating the mirrors or prisms on the
rings?

GRIDS

A geodesic grid, with straight paths going from end to end and at 60 degree
angles (instead of 90 degree angles) across would be a lot more
comfortable. Regional divisions could be mapped in hexagons instead of
squares. The sky panels would be honeycombs instead of gridirons.

How would giving someone directions work. How would the streets be named.
 I could see a lot of newcomers getting lost and not able to find their way
around on a hexagonal layout. Wouldn't it just be easier to rotate the
standard geodesic grid by 45 degrees.

Vince
Vleon@u.arizona.edu