Federico Makabenta (yenm@iconn.com.ph)
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:22:13 +0800

From: -Z- <Z@Gundam.Com>

> In any case, when the CIA Worldfact Books talks about "Philipino" (talk
> about bending over backwards to cover both variants) it's talking about
the > new and improved Tagalog.

"Philipino" is not a term used by Filipinos themselves. It is one made up by
Americans in a recent attempt to derive it from the Anglicized name of the
country "Philippines" and not the proper term (I've checked this in
dictionaries). The proper spelling is "Filipino". The term is derived from
the original Spanish name of the country - "Filipinas". The "Filipino" term
was used mainly by government officials (who originally spoke Spanish)
learning how to speak English under the American Colonial Government here
from 1910 onwards. It became the de facto standard ever since in describing
our nationality and recently our national language.

Fed