Char Aznable (charaznable@excite.com)
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 01:39:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000 23:06:35 GMT+8, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> After Marcos' overthrow in 86, Pilipino became Filipino (the main
reference
> for this is the new 1986 constitution) - this time however the
flexibility of
> language was stretched - accepting the letter "c" officially into the
national
> alphabet with words from English accepted more freely than ever before.
This
> has drawn the ire of purists yet again.

good point. I forgot to point this out. but the Filipino alphabet is more
closely associated with the Spanish alphabet than the English because of
such letters as "NG" and I think the "n" with the "~" on top (I don't know
how to do that on my keyboard) is also included in the Filipino alphabet.
this is mainly because of over 300 years of Spanish influence that a lot of
our words are in fact Spanish. also I noticed from watching some cartoons
over our local cable networks which featuers channels from our nearby
neighbors such as Indonesia, that we do have some similar words with
Indonesia, although I don't know how closely related the meanings are. so
this is the concept of Filipino that I was talking about in the past
e-mails.

> It's actually pretty messy CORE. :)

yeah, to someone who didn't grow up speaking the language, honestly it could
be quite confusing. we even have some tonal words like the Chinese, that if
you stress on the wrong vowel it would mean a different thing =)

> But just to give you an idea how messy our language situation is here -
many
> of our classical literature written in our National tongue from the turn
of
> the century are incomprehensible to the average reasonable Filipino
without
> a dictionary at hand (most dictionaries don't even carry ALL the words
either).
> Imagine if you can't read the Declaration of Independence or
Shakespeare's Works
> - to actually understand how desperate the situation is here.

yeah, we consider those words "poetic" or "deep" although everyone must be
speaking that way during those times. I think even in the US this is true,
because I was watching Jay Leno a few weeks back and he was talking about
the average number of english words an average american knows today compared
to 1960 I think, or 50. he asked around for some everyday words used then
and people today don't know it. I guess people around the world are being
creative by knowing a lot of slang words instead of those traditionally used
or those we see in the dictionary. and in a few years those slang words
could be considered everyday words, provided they're not vulgar =)