-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:02:13 -0700

At 16:25 4/16/2000, you wrote:
>-Z- wrote:
>> I'm not sure of the particulars, but the second Gundam movie was dubbed
>> into English in the UK as Johnny Destiny, Space Ninja. This was circa
1989
>> and I have been trying to get a copy of the PAL format videotape for my
>> collection.
>
>Was it on TV or in the theatre?

That's one of the particulars of which I'm not certain. It was obviously
packaged for video playback in the PAL format, but I don't know if that was
because it was originally broadcast on TV, repackaged for TV subsequent to
theatrical release or went direct to video.

I'll go out on a limb and state that I doubt that it was released
theatrically, for the same reason that most anime doesn't get released
theatrically here in the US -- it's deemed economically non-viable.

So it was either aired as a TV "special" and thence to video or video direct.

>[Wonder how Tomino reacted to the title "Space Ninja"]

He probably never heard about it. Someone in the UK bought the rights to
the movie and dubbed it as they saw fit. "Johnny Destiny" is Char, by the
way, and the "Space Ninja" is tagged on to explain the mask. Those two
facts should indicate just how far the English storyline deviates from the
original.

-Z-