Emery Calame (palaeomerus@excite.com)
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 00:46:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:09:29 EDT, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> In a message dated 4/12/00 3:17:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> cdupchurch@hotmail.com writes:
> For GW, I will get
> the DVD's for two reasons: 1. Hope of extras on them and 2. I want the
> original Openings and Endings!
>
> If a anime series is going to be released, since a subbed versions not
> likely to do well except for die hard anime fans, they should release in
its
> original state and only dub the character dialogue, leave everything else

> alone, espically the Openings and Endings. To avoid editing, they should
put
> an anime series in it apporite time slot. The did a very good job for GW.
If
> they must edit stuff, that is fine, as long as they will show an uncut
> version later or at midnight WITH the original Opening and Endings.
>
> I feel that GW should have not been edited at all, but it seems a
general
> lack of knowledge of the Japanese culture in America, forces censors to
> enforce strict censorship rules. Though I fine it ironic that America is
> supposed to be a "free" country and that a "free" country shouldn't have
> have any censorship rules.

I think Cartoon Network does the editing or demands that it be done because
they have a mostly younger audience and want to sell them stuff and
advertisers don't usually like controversial shows when their products are
aimed at parents and children.

Cable channels are free to put whatever they want on short of truely evil
stuff (like child porn) and limit their own content based on the audience
and advertizers they want to capture. Most also block out their programming
schedule to some degree with odd or raunchy stuff being relegated to night
time viewing. While the broadcast networks are under a liscence(Federal
permission to use a freqency for free) and can be pressured into editing
programs for objectionable content the cable networks are not for the most
part under the thumb of black hats. They are under the control of the
almighty dollar however and respond to it's whims much more intensely(they
don't try to find loopholes or sneak around it). That's why Sci-Fi channel
digitally blurs out any nipples that might appear on Lexx.

> I am 20, but I remember Voltron and vaguelly Robotech and saw Gigantor
on
> Sci-Fi when it was being rerun. I have read on various sites, that around
the
> 70's-80's, a lot of anime was Amercanzied and put on TV, namely that
Force
> Five programming block. I was born in 79, so was Force Five on before I
was
> born? My point is, isn't it time for another anime flood on US TV?
Toonami
> needs to get some new anime to replace Ronin Warriors, Sailor

I think Force Five was on in 1979 actually but it was a long time ago and I
was 8 then. We also had Battle of the Planets(Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
after LOTS of unecessary surgery to remove the storyline))

Moon, and
> Thundecats. Toonami could run an anime series and then show another new
anime

Thunder cats and Silver hawks aren't really anime. As far as I can tell they
look like Rankin and Bass productions. Rankin and Bass did the "Return of
the King" and the "Hobbit" animated musical tv movies.
I think they may have had a hand in the animated motion picture version of
Peter S. Beagle's "the Last Unicorn" as well.

Anyway Toonami has to watch it's budget and apparently hasn't even liscensed
the whole show of what they put on. Notice how they always cut out in about
the middle of the Macross section of Robotech? :)

They'll probably put the Transformers in their and call them Anime too if
DIC let's them.(Note...Transformers, and I don't mean Beast Wars, is hybrid
anime. It was made by a mix of Japanese and American studios. Batman the
Animated series is partially animated by a Japanese studio as well if you
want to try and call that a purley American show...)

> series in place of it, etc. Unlike Japan, it seems every US TV series
cartoon
> or not, is rerun to death. The series ends, then a another station gets
it
> and it is rerun several times and no longer shown, then another, and then

> another.

Yeah. America is big on strip syndication. NO question about that. That's
why everybody wants 50+ episodes of everything... OF course it means I can
see all those Batman and Superman episodes I missed...

> Why can't they just make a widely avaiable Anime channel? There's a
mother
> load of old and new anime that could be put on this Anime channel, so its
not
> due to a lack of content! :) Anime is still a virtually untapped source
of
> content. I get the impression that even if its as good Gundam or
Escaflowne,
> animation is still looked upon is that animation is for kids only, by a
> majority of American people. If we can get people to let go of this idea,

> maybe anime would be easier to accept in America. There's so many
different
> genre's of anime, that every American could find anime or two or three
that
> they like.

I think an anime channel would cause the network owning it to literally lose
it's butt. Anime has been getting more popular but it's still pretty
marginal. I think money is to be made in specialty markets such as video and
blocks of programming like the anime movie hours on the Encore action movie
channel and I even think putting big anime movies on the big(broadcast)
networks ocasionaly is feasable but an anime channel would probably crash
and burn. Who's gonna advertise on it? What are they gonna advertise? Or is
it going to be a limited reach premium channel? Maybe a pay per view could
be done to test it out but I don't think America is ready.

Hell! They (USA network) are barely holding their own with the ScFi channel.
Now if it was old sitcoms like TVLand then you'd have it made....

Emery
(palaeomerus@excite.com)