L. M. Lloyd (ubik@austin.rr.com)
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:32:39 -0500

OK, this is getting silly. I have been collecting resin kits since
the late '80s, and plastic anime models since the mid '70s. I have
been ordering from HLJ since '96, and have dealt with most of the
shops that sell anime kits over the web, as well as several of the
shops in the US, and a few shops in Japan. I can assure you that my
criticism of HLJ is not based on ignorance of the anime model market,
nor is it based on ignorance of HLJ's policies. As I have said
before, HLJ once had very good service, but as their volume of
customers has increased, the quality of service has suffered, to the
point now where they take over a month to get you brand new items.
Please don't regale me with another explanation of how the Japanese
retail distribution chain works, because Japanese products are
produced (on the average) more frequently than their American
counterparts (mainly because the average Japanese retail store has a
smaller storefront than the average American retail store, thus
necessitating more frequent orders due to fewer items being kept in
backstock). The simple fact is that many other stores have no problem
getting you new items in around a week.

Now, I am not saying that this means that "HLJ sucks!" In fact, as
the most popular online venue for anime models it is quite
understandable why they would have order backlogs. However, as
someone who collects mainly resins, I can not afford to be stuck in a
backlog while a limited production resin slips quietly through my
fingers. When I am spending $200-$500 on a single model, I expect a
little more priority service, than if I were ordering a $30 plastic
kit, this is simply the kind of service that HLJ can no longer
accommodate. Rainbow Ten on the other hand seems to have no problem
providing this type of service, provided that it is a model listed on
their web page (as most new resins are).

Basically, HLJ is fine if what you are ordering is a plastic kit that
is likely to be available for some time, but is just plain inadequate
if what you are ordering is a high demand limited production item
that will quickly disappear, quite possibly never to be seen again
(at least at retail price, rather than inflated collector's prices).
It all comes down to how much time you can afford to wait before
finding out if the shop in question will be able to get the kit you
desire. As a rule, I will receive a kit from RT before HLJ has even
told whether or not they have the kit in stock.