Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:37:42 MST

>I am not sure if you are upset by the profanity or something, but I can't
>understand for the life of me why you would want someone to not tell the
>list
>about bad experiences with a vendor. Many of the people on this list have
>an
>active interest in finding out where to get Gundam products, and just
>because
>you think HLJ is the hottest thing since sliced bread, that does not make
>it
>sacrilegious for others to disagree.

First off, I welcome any information, good or bad about vendors. That sort
of thing is important for anyone trying to decide where to order stuff from.

Second, I don't think HLJ is the hottest think since sliced bread. As I
said in my original response, I've only placed one order with them and I
haven't even recieved it yet (though they've shipped it and it's now in the
hands of UPS). HLJ just hasn't done anything to piss me off so far.

Third, I could care less about profanity. The original post in this thread
by "Jam Masta' Jay" had profanity in it and while I had a different opinion
of HLJ than he did, I had absolutely no problem with him expressing his
views. His post (http://gundam.aeug.org/archives/2000/04/0365.html), my
response (http://gundam.aeug.org/archives/2000/04/0369.html).

Winn Sevilla also posted a response supportive of HLJ
(http://gundam.aeug.org/archives/2000/04/0370.html). In response to that,
Thomas Yung posted his little rant against HLJ
(http://gundam.aeug.org/archives/2000/04/0374.html). As I said above, I
don't have any problem with profanity and I would encourage anyone to tell
us about their experiences with HLJ or any other vendor.

However, since Thomas Yung's post was in direct response to Winn Sevilla's,
quoting his support of HLJ, it seemed to me like Thomas Yung was taking out
his frustrations with HLJ on Winn Sevilla and, by extension, everyone on
this mailing list with a positive view of HLJ. It just doesn't seem like
there's any need for him to unload both barrels on us like that.

>In the past HLJ had very good service, but there is no way around the fact
>that, in recent years, their service has been slipping. I have ordered
>thousands of dollars of models from HLJ, pretty much since they opened
>their
>doors, and beyond a shadow of a doubt they are not as responsive, or prompt
>as
>they once were. There are a lot of shops out there, and several of them are
>quite concerned with customer feedback and perception of service. There is
>no
>reason that someone should endure delays that they find unreasonable, just
>because some people are fine with waiting a month or more for currently
>produced kits.
>
>Each individual must choose for himself what price convenience has, and buy
>accordingly. I know people (myself included) who are happy to pay an extra
>10%
>shipping charge in order to receive a kit in less than a week from Rainbow
>Ten,
>I know yet other people who are willing to pay more than twice the to $
>conversion rate, in order to be able to walk into a store and buy the model
>with no wait.

An excellent summation of the situation.