Tomonaga (Tomonaga@xtra.co.nz)
Fri, 07 Apr 2000 08:55:37 +1200

core@gundam.com wrote:

> Tomonaga wrote:
> > Has anyone here built or seen the 1/20 scale Paper MS ?
>
> I built only the head and neck of Gundam.
>
> > It look pretty amazing and I was wondering how thick the paper was and
> > if it require internal supports for the whole thing to stand without
> > collapsing.
>
> Hmm I got a copy of the CDROM from... hmmm... er... less than legitimate
> means :P So I can't tell you how thick the paper from the package is, I
> printed mine on laser printer using regular photocopy paper (10M, 75g/m2).
> (there are seperate templates for color and black & white printers)
> Judging from the intricatcy of the model, I can't imagine the original
> paper to be much thicker.
>
> The pictures you see at eHobbyland are honest representations of the
> finished models EXCEPT that (1) all the PG style decals are not in the
> printed pages (I am leaving the slim possibility open that the legit
> package includes sheets of decals or stickers) and (2) the damages and
> wears on the models are added afterwards, the printed pages are clean and
> smooth like the original TV.
>
> There's no internal support for either Gundam or Zaku, but judging from
> the head none will be necessary. This is in part due to its accuracy.
> Every curve, every layer is faithfully reproduced so all the parts are
> naturally strong (even using the flimsy photocopy paper) because of all
> the 3-Dness. Of course the ability to stand on its own will be very
> dependent on the builder. As papercrafts go this one is definitely
> advanced.
>
> I really like the (black and white) head I finished so far, I haven't move
> on to do the rest because I am planning to buy a color printer (and
> counting on spending a whole ink cartriage on one copy each of Gundam and
> Zaku). There are two reasons I really like them (1) very faithful,
> beautiful 900 mm tall Gundam and Zaku (2) they are masterpieces of
> papercrafts, one of these reasons alone would be enough to justify it.
> But count on hours of printing and then 30+ hours each of construction.
>
> Japan is definitely ichiban in paparcraft.

Thanks for the info Core. Two things though. From what I was able to find out
about this product the CD only contains the plans for the 1/30 scale MS
version not the 1/20 scale. The original package actually comes with the
fully coloured and detailed parts for the 1/20 scale MS plus the
aforementioned CD containing the instructions and plans for the 1/30 scale
version.

I am pretty certain that the one you are building will end up about 24 inches
tall compared to 36 inches for the 1/20 scale. What do you think ?

Tet