Jim Dulhunty (s3159706@bohm.anu.edu.au)
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 13:35:24 -0800

>Andrew Dynon wrote:

[snip]

>Fascinating! I guess you can excuse me for not knowing this at all.
>Funny Canada has almost exactly the same story in WW2:
>
>Date: August 19, 1942
>Location: Dieppe, France
>Purpose: invade the Continent(!)
>Duration: 9 hours
>Input: 5000 Canadians, 1000 Britons, 50 Americans; under British commands
>Output: 2500 returned home (1000 of them never set foot on the Continent)
> 900 killed
> 1650 captured
>
>Somehow Canadian historians claim that Dieppe defined Canada as a nation
>(sounds familiar?) but honestly I don't see how it works. No one outside
>of Canada seem to have heard of Dieppe at all.

Growing up in Australia you're pretty much bombarded with the "Legend of
the ANZACS". Not really in a gung-ho kinda way, more a 'getting the job
done in the face of adversity' with a healthy dose of 'look how the poms
shafted us again' thrown in. The highest and lowest points for Australians
in the war, the ligh horse charge that took Beersheba and the cluster-****
at Gallipoli, spawned their own movie industry.

Military historians over here sometimes draw parallels between the
Australian and Canadian experience of WW1. I think it goes something like
Australia (and New Zealand, sorry I keep leaving you guys out!) able to
pull some glory out of the campaigns against the Turks, while Canadian
troops, mostly sent to the Western Front, were seen as being thrown away in
pointless trech warfare.

Don't sue me, it isn't my theory, just one of those things you can't help
picking up doing history here. And yes, I have heard of Dieppe. Another
one where lots of people get thrown away because of poor planning and
shithouse support.

Jim