Tue, 04 Apr 2000 14:17:43 +1000

A question for anybody who cares to offer their opinion:

I am planning on writing a Gundam fanfic for Anzac Day (April 25) involving
a Gundam (probably 1YW-era) version of the Gallipoli campaign (in
particular, the initial landing). I need suggestions on how to create an
"adaption" of this campaign with Gundam technology.

For those unfamiliar with the Gallipoli campaign, here's a short overview:
It was a botched attempt by the Allies to invade the Ottomann Empire during
World War I. Due to a blunder by the high command, Allied forces, among
them many ANZACs (members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps)
made their landing in a heavily-defended area of steep hills, and took
heavy losses establishing a beachhead. A long period of fruitless trench
warfare followed, and eventually the Allied forces retreated (the retreat
has been claimed to be "the only well-organised part of the campaign").
Although one of the worst military disasters in history, the campaign has
been called the "true birth of Australia as a nation", despite the fact
that Australia gained independence almost fifteen years beforehand.

BTW, there is a famous Australian movie called "Gallipoli" about the
campaign - I don't know if it's been released in other countries, but if
you can find it, it's worth watching.

Andrew Dynon

"When will those bloody adolescents learn to leave my Mobile Suits alone?"
- Bright Noah, from Kathleen Moffre's fanfic "Russian Roulette"

"Keep 'em guessing. Never tell anyone the truth. Try to confuse them."
- Stefan Elliot on dealing with Hollywood executives.

"Stories have to be told to exist. They exist in the telling and retelling."
- Itzhak Roeh