Matt Tateishi (tateishi@infinite-machine.com)
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:28:14 -0700

I actually have the 'Fortress' Gundam simulation game (brought back from
Japan as a gift by a beneficial Aunt), and I seem to recall it was a
standalone game. I never actually played the thing, but it seemed to be
the typical Japanese 'compare offensive value to defensive value and
someone dies' type of game. I also had a Macross 'City Fight' game and
that game was also really brutal in how easily your units would die.
Typically one or two shots and a unit was history. It was quite a
contrast to the US Battletech games where you would slug it for several
hours and maybe destroy one or two mechs.

The coolest Japanese simulation board game I've seen, though, was this
Dougram game that my friend had. It was almost identical in terms of
rules and gameplay to the aforementioned Gundam and Macross games, but
the cool part about it was that it came with about 15 or so metal
die-cast miniatures of the Dougram suits. And when you wanted to check
whether to see you had line-of-sight to an enemy unit, you would take
out these little periscopes to see if you could actually see the enemy!
I can only imagine how ridiculous my friends and I must have looked
gathered around the dining room table, hunched over these periscopes and
arguing over what percentage of the target unit was visible behind an
obstructing tree...

--Matt

core@gundam.com wrote:

> Tomonaga wrote:
> > Looking through Yahoo Japan Auctions I found pics of the following
> > Tsukuda Gundam Simulation games.
>
> Impressive! Thanks Tet.
>
> Are they interested in foreign bids? Are they all stand-alone games
or
> expansion packs? Have to say, bidding with only knowledge of kanji is
> flirting with disaster...

Most of them don't accept foreign bids I'm afraid. Probably more a
communication thing than not wanting to ship overseas.

I've read brief reviews of most of the games and apart from the Z era
'Gate of
Zedan' they are all stand-alone games it seems.