William Horner (wiliam_horner@plugandburn.com)
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 12:27:52 -0600

Actually, the green panel is the reciever for the targeing laser that the
moonbase sends out prior to releasing the microwave burst. the recieving
panells on its back are the energy collectors. Plus it dosent have to be
night, the moon just has to be out.
                                        WH

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gundam@ml.aeug.org [mailto:owner-gundam@ml.aeug.org]On
Behalf Of Roland Thigpen
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2000 6:34 AM
To: gundam@aeug.org
Subject: Re: [gundam] gundam BFGs

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 20:20:22 +0800 Winn Sevilla <winn@nsclub.net> wrote:
>Master Asia wrote:
>
>Well, i've got some other questions about the X's power system... where
does it
>that tremendous power that even its former pilot fears it? What's the point
of
>him asking about the moon rising? Is the GX-990's power source based on
>something like solar energy? If so, why at night? Is moon-reflected light
more
>powerful than sun based?
>
>And what's with the "linkup" from that moon base with that green panel of
the X?
>I think that's something about microwave energy but cant be clear about
it...

The system that supplies the power to the Gundam Xs' satellite cannons is
located on the moon. It apparently converts solar energy, concentrates it
and then sends it in amplified form to the Gundam X unit requesting it, most
likely through some sort of microwave emissions, although I'm not sure about
this (I've only seen the first 12 episodes). Thus, on Earth, the Gundam X
can only fire its cannon at night. Apparently, the onboard power systems
cannot power even one shot of the cannon (with good reason, as you have seen
how powerful that thing is, and to supply such destructive force must
require enormous power). The green panel on the X is, of course, the
receiver for whatever kind of energy it is that it receives from the moon.

However, I bet that the moon base had trouble supplying power for multiple
shots to all those Gundam Xs we see in the opening flashback in the first
episode. Prob. why we only see them firing one shot at the dropping
colonies.

Roland