Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
1 Apr 2000 12:33:39 -0000

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 20:20:22 +0800 Winn Sevilla <winn@nsclub.net> wrote:
>Master Asia wrote:
>
>Well, i've got some other questions about the X's power system... where does it
>that tremendous power that even its former pilot fears it? What's the point of
>him asking about the moon rising? Is the GX-990's power source based on
>something like solar energy? If so, why at night? Is moon-reflected light more
>powerful than sun based?
>
>And what's with the "linkup" from that moon base with that green panel of the X?
>I think that's something about microwave energy but cant be clear about it...

The system that supplies the power to the Gundam Xs' satellite cannons is located on the moon. It apparently converts solar energy, concentrates it and then sends it in amplified form to the Gundam X unit requesting it, most likely through some sort of microwave emissions, although I'm not sure about this (I've only seen the first 12 episodes). Thus, on Earth, the Gundam X can only fire its cannon at night. Apparently, the onboard power systems cannot power even one shot of the cannon (with good reason, as you have seen how powerful that thing is, and to supply such destructive force must require enormous power). The green panel on the X is, of course, the receiver for whatever kind of energy it is that it receives from the moon.

However, I bet that the moon base had trouble supplying power for multiple shots to all those Gundam Xs we see in the opening flashback in the first episode. Prob. why we only see them firing one shot at the dropping colonies.

Roland