David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:27:53 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:01:58 -0800, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> David \"Jojo\" Wong wrote:
>

> > Okay, let's step back and simplify this a bit. People who don't care
about
> > B.O. numbers and profits decide to walk into a showing of Armageddon,
or if
> > an indie film, Boys Don't Cry. This is the majority of the moviegoing
> > public. They simply randomly choose a film and pay a few bucks to watch
it.
> > Going by this, we can determine that more random moviegoers went into a
> > showing of Being John Malkovich rather than Princess Mononoke.
> >

> That's too simple. I often am with friends who say "Hey, let's go out to
> movie," but I rarely hear them say "I don't care, we'll pick one when we
get
> there." We always flip through the Calendar section of the newspaper -
"Uh,
> that one's got Leonardo DiCaprio in it, no way", "I've heard this thing
makes
> 'Mission to Mars' look like '2001'", "Hey, this one's got Jet Li in it!",
etc.
> I hear this same discussion at the ticket windows from stangers, too.
The
> simple-minded actually do fall for advertising, so an indie film with
less
> promotional budget loses many of them in the ocean of trailers for
"Godzilla"
> or "Episode I". Either way the poorly funded and the shit movies suffer.

Would Mononoke have done better with larger promotion? Maybe. I hear ADV is
releasing Spriggan in wide release. But again, just because Diz/Mira
released it as an arthouse does not mean they wanted it to fail. It could be
true, I'm not totally ruling it out, but that's only speculating, as we have
no real proof.

> > Disregarding how much it took to make the movie and all that, we can
simply
> > say that as a movie, Mononoke failed to draw in random moviegoers as
opposed
> > to the similarly promoted BJM.
> >

> Animation = kid's movie here, remember. That creates an immediate bias
against
> it from adults. No name recognition, either, foreign director and such.

Yes...and while Mononoke first opened in 8 theatres and managed to do
fairly well on its opening weekend (with a perscreen average of about $18000
to BJM's $25000) it slowly dipped as it expanded. The Straight Story opened
in 6 theatres at around the same amount as Mono but held up consistently
weeks after).

Whoo! Gettin tired with this OT thread. I'm glad I could pick up a few
interesting pieces of info (even if some of them strayed far off-topic) by
some of you more experienced people here. Glad it didn't degenerate into a
flame war. We don't learn if we don't discuss, though.

Outta here.

Jojo