David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:48:23 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:37:41 -0500, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> > > Your friends are a minority group, then. According to Box Office
> figures,
> > > the "shit" movies you are talking about make a hell of a lot.
>
> After the production, people narrowly escaped losing their ass
> for 200$ million... that's not make money they throw around
> either, that's box office, which the studio doesn't get all of. If
> you spend 50$ million to make a movie, and get 200$ million
> in BOX OFFICE money, you won't make shit...

Okay, let's step back and simplify this a bit. People who don't care about
B.O. numbers and profits decide to walk into a showing of Armageddon, or if
an indie film, Boys Don't Cry. This is the majority of the moviegoing
public. They simply randomly choose a film and pay a few bucks to watch it.
Going by this, we can determine that more random moviegoers went into a
showing of Being John Malkovich rather than Princess Mononoke.

Disregarding how much it took to make the movie and all that, we can simply
say that as a movie, Mononoke failed to draw in random moviegoers as opposed
to the similarly promoted BJM.

Jojo