David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:25:43 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:13:19 -0800, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> David \"Jojo\" Wong wrote:
>

> > Hmm. Okay. I'm no expert on software packages and their quality, so
I'll
> > take your word for it.
> >

> Try using their crap in production, like I am right now, and you'll
really feel
> the sting of lame product. When your Dreamcast freezes on you in the
middle of
> the game, guess why. Windows CE. I seen my friend's do that multiple
times
> already. No pride having mediocre programmers.
>

> > But going back to Disney (I can't resist) my main theory is that Disney
is
> > holding the rest of the Ghibli films until it is the right time, so
they can
> > maximize their profits with as little money spent on promotion as
possible.

> Think of it another way (I'm not saying Disney *is* doing this, just
trying to
> show you how long term can benefit when short term does not) - Disney
gets some
> high profile anime movies (like, say, from one of the greatest living
anime
> directors) and makes sure, through delays and poor
publicity/distribution, that
> they tank. So lesser anime movies will come out on the heels of a "the
best
> anime from Japan couldn't generate shit for profit here, nobody is
interested"
> vibe. Why do this? Because you'd rather have 100% of a market (animated
> movies) than 80% (other companies putting out anime movies against
yours).
> They might be trying to keep the equation 'good animation = only Disney'
> alive. Not that I can see that happening for much longer, "Iron Giant"
was
> better as a story and just as good for animation than anything Disney's
put out
> in the last 20 years. And Dreamworks, if they can shake loose from their
> Disney roots, will compete with them as well.

Funny thing is that Iron Giant made peanuts (barely 20 mil) compared to
Tarzan. Of course, there was the same claim that Warner Bros fucked up the
promotion, but I saw just as many ads promoting IG as Tarzan, personally.

> > promotion as possible again. I'm sure Disney would have just loved to
have a
> > title like Pokemon that kids swarmed to without much promotion (yes,
> > Pokemon's debut on US TV was quiet--kids swarmed to the early mornings
on
> > their own, THEN Nintendo started to promote the hell outta it).
> >

> Not if Pokemon doesn't conform to their idea of "family entertainment",
they
> wouldn't. They're arrogant, they think they're the only ones that
understand
> that market here. They're wrong, but they're powerful enough to try and
keep
> that idea alive.

But we're only speculating that Disney is arrogant enough to try to protect
their own crap. I seriously think Disney isn't that stupid. I mean, here we
are, three guys, who probably aren't the biggest economic and marketing
experts tobegin with, pointing out that Disney, with all of their educated
and plentiful marketing experts, is wrong. Come on.

Jojo