David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:00:22 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 01:23:24 -0800 (PST), gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 01:17:24 -0800, gundam@aeug.org wrote:
>
> > You need to look at the big picture and the long term effects. In the
> > short term Disney might have lost money, but it's a drop in the bucket
> when
> > you compare it to the potential amount Disney could be losing if
Mononoke
> > makes it big here and makes future Disney animated features look lame
by
> > comparison, and no longer drawing the kids in for the summers.
>
> I don't think Disney should be that threattened by Gundam because their
> target audiences are differnt. Disney targets more of the family kind of
> shows, something that 3 year olds and 80 year olds would both appreciate.

> Gundam is more into war stories and is more into teens and 20s to 30s
people
> who'd like to see a good war drama at the same time be treated to
wonderful
> mecha action. I have seen Kiki's Deliver Service and the story is very
> Disney-like so I think it would be more of a threat to Disney's business
> than something like Gundam.

I give up, I really do. While I'm not saying that Disney is an innocent,
clean and virtuous company, I simply don't think companies make business
deals and mergers just to put out the one they are merging with out of
business. I don't see the logic, long term or otherwise, in Disney financing
Ghibli's more recent films if they want Ghibli to fail. I don't see the
logic in Disney hiring big-name voice actors to dub anime films just to keep
Disney on top in "the long run." So go on...go on with the Disney bashing.

Jojo