David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:50:51 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 01:17:24 -0800, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> >No, Sailor Moon *might* have been huge. You're not including the
possibility
> >that SM was simply not to the American tastes?
>
> Yeah... RIGHT. Not to the American tastes. Try to explain the huge
orders
> for Sailor Moon merchandise placed by major national chains such as
K-mart,
> Tower Records, Amazon.com, Target, Musicland... and Mixx signs up rights
for
> SM publications when they could have got something else instead, like
> Dragonball or Gundam 0079.

That was much, much later. The original debut of Sailor Moon in America in
1995 was not met with warm reception among most anime fans and the Americans
in general. Only later did they discover its virtues. Trust me.

The reason Sailor Moon bombed in 1995 was that it *didn't* sell merchandise
and lousy ratings (Pokemon debuted in lousy time slots too but skyrocketed
in the ratings in comparison). And we can't blame DIC for the lousy time
slots--many networks didn't want Sailor Moon at the time, so they had to opt
for syndication.

Again, the environment is different now, but Sailor Moon was a failure the
first time. It's only in Canada (which DIC has better connections in) that
it succeeded. Of course, DIC was really shooting for an American success, so
it gave up after SMR. SAilor Moon got a new lease in life on the Cartoon
Network, where it had a better time slot, and much of it due to the rising
popularity of anime in 1997 (AFTER 1995, remember).

> I hate to sound like a broken record, but what you said is simply untrue
> when you consider how DIC, owned by Disney, wouldn't grant license to
> anything for the anime properties they've acquired, until a rather pissed
off
> Japanese production company demanded the dicks at DIC to stop holding
their
> property hostage. They may seem like they're making quick bucks off
> purchased properties NOW, but a few years ago things couldn't have been
more
> different, and would have remained that way if not for a few persistent
> individuals who I happen to know.

Well, the Japanese companies at the time didn't go to DIC to sell their
property. DIC went to them. They could probably care less what they did to
it, as long as they got the money from Disney/DIC for the rights. I don't
recall any company pestering DIC of holding the property hostage. This
attitude is changing now, but we're talking 1995.

> You need to look at the big picture and the long term effects. In the
> short term Disney might have lost money, but it's a drop in the bucket
when
> you compare it to the potential amount Disney could be losing if Mononoke
> makes it big here and makes future Disney animated features look lame by
> comparison, and no longer drawing the kids in for the summers.

You're assuming Mononoke would make it big in the future if it was given the
chance. I'm amused that fans can't accept a failure, can't accept the fact
that maybe many didn't want to see Mononoke. They blame it on the promotion,
blame it on Disney (yes, Disney is ALWAYS bad), blame on everything except
the possibility that Mononoke maybe just didn't click with audiences. Sure,
anime rules the internet and kid's TV, but the fact of the matter is that
Disney's films will always appeal to the mainstream tastes more. Disney's
films are bigger budget, better animated (according to most--I'd disagree,
but I'm an anime fan) and simpler to understand. You're assuming that "good"
stuff will always make money. Not necessarily.

And there's also the possibility that Mononoke is lame compared to many past
Disney films. I disagree, but there is a large (very LARGE) audience who
have seen Mononoke who declare it to be inferior to most Disney films. Maybe
a lot of people thought it sucked. That's why it didn't make any money.
Again, I have to repeat that while anime rules the net, it isn't true in the
outside world.

Most adults, who are the ones shelling out money for movies, wouldn't even
go near an anime feature, no matter what people say about it.

Jojo