Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 01:17:24 -0800

>No, Sailor Moon *might* have been huge. You're not including the possibility
>that SM was simply not to the American tastes?

Yeah... RIGHT. Not to the American tastes. Try to explain the huge orders
for Sailor Moon merchandise placed by major national chains such as K-mart,
Tower Records, Amazon.com, Target, Musicland... and Mixx signs up rights for
SM publications when they could have got something else instead, like
Dragonball or Gundam 0079.

>It made more money than Mononoke, although it did have a somewhat larger
>release.

Astronomical by comparison.

>Not Disney's style. They'd rather make a buck off a property they bought
>rather than "keeping it caged just so they don't make us look bad," --an
>idea that many anime fans think is true but is not.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but what you said is simply untrue
when you consider how DIC, owned by Disney, wouldn't grant license to
anything for the anime properties they've acquired, until a rather pissed off
Japanese production company demanded the dicks at DIC to stop holding their
property hostage. They may seem like they're making quick bucks off
purchased properties NOW, but a few years ago things couldn't have been more
different, and would have remained that way if not for a few persistent
individuals who I happen to know.

>If that was true, then
>Ghibli is the one that wins out in this one, as Disney gave them a sizable
>amount of money so they could get the rights to distribute in America. They
>didn't even make back all the money they lost to Ghibli for Mononoke, I
>think.
>
>Jojo

You need to look at the big picture and the long term effects. In the
short term Disney might have lost money, but it's a drop in the bucket when
you compare it to the potential amount Disney could be losing if Mononoke
makes it big here and makes future Disney animated features look lame by
comparison, and no longer drawing the kids in for the summers.

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0