Alfred Urrutia (ledzep@d2.com)
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:15:05 -0800

jmrv wrote:

> >I far as I've heard Disney does have the rights to several anime and
> >everything is on HOLD. Maybe they don't want the general public to see
> >quality Anime other than the typical mass market Dragonball Z and
> >pokey-monster.
>
> It sounds to me like monopoly or dictatorship!

No, they're just dumb. And slow, they move with the mongoose quickness of a 90
year old tai chi student in the event horizon of a black hole. Two years I
worked on Dinosaur, the whole time they were "close" on a name for the movie.
We never got crew t-shirts because those asses couldn't get to their
hyper-inventive final name until we were practically laid off.

> About the live action movie, well MAYBE one of Disney's subsidiaries (Buena
> Vista) will release it (if I'm not wrong they released once a "movie" made
> out of the first eps of a TV show that featured mecha similar to Robotech's
> Zentraedi officer pods. Sorry I don't remember the name now). But I would
> prefere that it is released by another company. Disney is always under fire
> of "concerned parents" and other organizations for some of their movies, so
> imagine the mess formed if they release a GUNDAM thing.

Miramax would be the ticket there. One of Disney's divisions but basically
uncluttered with the whole "wholesome" vibe.

> I have no objection with Disney releasing anime like Kiki's Dellivery
> Service, because it's a "familiy-oriented" anime (or am I worng?). But to
> release other "mature-oriented" anime would be a big mistake. They will end
> up doing another Robotech (thought the dubbing was not that bad - remember:
> it was the early 80's and people still believed cartoons was JUST FOR KIDS).

They will ruin everything they touch if they are allowed to modify it.

Alfred.