David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:41:41 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:05:54 -0500, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> > >Star Blazers is supposed to come out on DVD soon and there are rumors
of
> > >live action movie and a new upcoming animation series. Disney is
> > supposed
> > >to have the US rights now.......
> > >

> > Is that a good thing? I'm not sure I like the idea of Disney of having
the
> > rights to anything anime. Although I haven't seen Princess Mononoke
(sp?)
> > yet, so I don't know how they did with that.
> >
> Several of my friends who work up here in the Disney animation studio up
in
> Toronto, Canada loved Mononoke (sp?) technically very, very good
animation
> with a good story to boot. My wife didn't like it though.....

Didn't the Disney studio up here in Toronto close shop?

> I far as I've heard Disney does have the rights to several anime and
> everything is on HOLD. Maybe they don't want the general public to see
> quality Anime other than the typical mass market Dragonball Z and
> pokey-monster.

Several? Maybe obscure ones (or old ones. Where's my Rose of Versailles and
Ribon no Kishi??). Most of the well-known anime series have already been
been bought by other companies (or are released already), and I don't see a
Bandai-Disney partnership in the near future.

The "quality" anime thing is a bit off. Even if they have rights to some
"good" series, the big problem is how to market them. Really, when you think
about it, Mononoke was a failure. No, don't tell me it didn't get any
promotion, because it got about the same kind of hype as Being John
Malkovich and Boys Don't Cry, maybe even more so. But it simply couldn't get
a big enough audience. SO they're waiting until the fanbase gets bigger.

But I seriously doubt Disney has anything more than Ghibli's films.

So where's the Gundam in all this? Could we see some mouse-eared Gundams
waging a war and saying "I want some cheese, please!" in the future? Could
be a hit.

Jojo