jmrv (jmrv04@prtc.net)
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:10:42 -0100

>I far as I've heard Disney does have the rights to several anime and
>everything is on HOLD. Maybe they don't want the general public to see
>quality Anime other than the typical mass market Dragonball Z and
>pokey-monster.

It sounds to me like monopoly or dictatorship!
About the live action movie, well MAYBE one of Disney's subsidiaries (Buena
Vista) will release it (if I'm not wrong they released once a "movie" made
out of the first eps of a TV show that featured mecha similar to Robotech's
Zentraedi officer pods. Sorry I don't remember the name now). But I would
prefere that it is released by another company. Disney is always under fire
of "concerned parents" and other organizations for some of their movies, so
imagine the mess formed if they release a GUNDAM thing.
I have no objection with Disney releasing anime like Kiki's Dellivery
Service, because it's a "familiy-oriented" anime (or am I worng?). But to
release other "mature-oriented" anime would be a big mistake. They will end
up doing another Robotech (thought the dubbing was not that bad - remember:
it was the early 80's and people still believed cartoons was JUST FOR KIDS).

My two cents,
JMRV