BlazeEagle@aol.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:49:22 EST

In a message dated 3/28/00 3:32:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
palaeomerus@excite.com writes:

> I dunno. 0080 pretty much knocked me on my butt. I was sort of amost crying
> when Alfred tried to tell Christine that Bernie was fine and couldn't make
> it to say goodbye. The fact that they made the whole thing unecessary with
> the news about the interdicted Zeon strike really hit home about young
> heroes wasted in senseless conflicts. I had a sizable lump in my throat and
> a real bummer feeling.

So did I. 0080 is by no means bad, it just had something missing, IMO.

> I thought it was among the best Gundams ever and it gave me those same
> Heebie Jeebies as after Amuro (aiming for Char) accidently sank his beam
> sabre into the Elmeth and (after a long psychic farewell) mumbled under his
> breath that he'd done something awful that he can't ever undo...he killed
> Lala.

Yes, that scene was very sad.

> It kind of made the mecha and the focus on them seem like a character defect
> on my part. Here I was watching mobile suits and mobile armor and failing to
> appreciate the people9well characters anyway) who were flying them and their
> motivations, dreams etc.

Not me. I always find that I can appreciate both the mecha and the
characters. I appreciate the characters more, but I also like mecha a lot.
Gundam is one of the very few mecha series that actually has good characters
as well as mecha.

I don't want to go into it again too much, this subject is getting very old.
Gundam IS a mecha show, some seem to forget this. Something was missing for
me in 0080, but the other thing that bothered me, was the lack of mecha
battles. Gundam is known for having intense mecha battles AND for having some
of the best stories. Gundam is a mecha show, but it also has great human
stories as well. Some mecha shows fall short in the story dept. The
combination of intense mecha battles and an intense story, is what makes made
Gundam original and stands it above the crowds.

Aaron