David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:04:38 -0800 (PST)

> And actually the GI Joe comics (the 80s versions, not the older GI Joe
one, > of course (I actually have some of the originals when GI Joe was
actually a >named Joe)) were a little better. Cobra soldiers died all the
time, were blown >to pieces, etc. Even those in fighters. I guess the
reasoning was that the >comic readers were more mature than those who just
watched the cartoon.

Actually, comic books have always had a bit more creative leeway than their
TV show counterparts. Ever since the the return of crime comics and the
darker, Comics-Code pushing stories of the 70s, comic books have been
killing their main characters all the time. Of course, there's still a limit
to what mainstream comics are allowed to do, but overall, violent comics
aren't as
"dangerous" as violent cartoons, according to the media.

> However, that did not mean that any of the Joes ever got killed. Well,
not until around issue 100 or so, when they killed off like 1/3rd or more of
the team within the span of 5 or 10 issues.

I think if done right, a grittier update of G.I. Joe would be quite
interesting, and I think the censors aren't so rigid as they used to be.
G.I. Joe did have a lotta cool characters. The scheming Baroness, Scarlet,
Snake Eyes...oh yeah.

Jojo