garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 07:20:10 -0800 (PST)

> > I am not BLAMING Tomino for all the deaths. I was
> saying that while there
> are
> > some good characters that would be neat to see
> what it's like if they
> would
> > have lived and that deaths of good or loved
> characters, helps add
> emotional
> > impact.
>
> well, it's far better than having a G.I. Joe type of
> show. I mean, they're
> supposed to be an elite force, and there they go
> shooting at each other and
> wasting billions of dollars worth of equipment and
> not one soldier even
> suffers a flesh wound. but they do have pretty damn
> good refexes since they
> are always able to eject or bail out from their
> vehecles just before it
> explodes or before it gets hit. oh well, they can
> justify that in the
> Gundam universe as being a newtype ability.
> hahahahahahahahah. imagine a
> world population of 11 billion, a war of epic
> proportions, tons of scrap
> metal floating in space from all the battleships and
> mobile suits destroyed,
> colonies dropped on earth, and somehow not one
> casualty. YO JOE!!!!

this is really off topic (haven't read the rest of the
posts yet), but i gotta speak for g.i.joe in this
unfair comparison.

it's not the fault of g.i.joe that no one gets killed
in what has to be the most ridiculous display of
deus-ex-machina-good-guys-never-die syndrome. blame
it on the censors and watchdog groups.

in the heyday of g.i.joe, cartoons were expressly
forbidden to show deaths and explicit violence of any
kind. some of them even went so far as to state a
"karma" rule -- good guys never initiate conflict, bad
guys do. and stupid things happen to bad guys who
start the conflict. (i.e. he-man & the masters of the
universe -- bad guys fire a laser beam, it's deflected
back at them, etc. etc.)

blame the differences in culture, not the differences
in cartoons.

:P

-garrick