Sun, 26 Mar 2000 11:29:18 -0500

Mark Simmons wrote:

> Rodrick Su writes,
>
> >About what ball park number are talking about of Federation Forces's man
> >power?
>
> Actually, guesses have been ventured on this subject. For example, the
> admittedly dubious Entertainment Bible 39 says...
>
> FEDERATION ZEON
> Pre-war 86 million 13 million
> Op. British 53,000 30,000
> Odessa (front) 3,700,000 900,000
> (rear) 4,000,000 80,000
> Post-war 36 million 3 million
>
> EB 39 claims Jaburo has a population of 450,000. Hobby Japan's Gundam
> RPG expansion book also throws out guesstimates for the Zeon troops at
> Solomon (100,000) and A Bao A Qu (180,000).

That would seem kinda low assuming the above numbers. I guess Raum would take up
a good portion of those 60 million military casualties, but still.

> <Snip>
>
> If we take the standard casualty figures - 2.8 billion from the opening
> attacks, 200 million from the colony impact, and 2.5 billion from Ruum -
> and shift a billion from Ruum to the first round of attacks, the numbers
> make a lot more sense. Assuming a pre-war population of 12 billion total...
>
> PRE-WAR POST-WAR
>
> Earth 2.0 billion 1.8 billion <- 0.2 billion killed by colony drop
> Side 1 1.5 billion 0.35 billion <- 75% killed in first days of war
> Side 2 1.5 billion 0.35 billion <- 75% killed in first days of war
> Side 3 1.5 billion 1.5 billion <- Essentially no losses
> Side 4 1.5 billion 0.0 billion <- Totally destroyed
> Side 5 1.5 billion 0.0 billion <- Totally destroyed
> Side 6 1.5 billion 1.5 billion <- Essentially no losses
> Moon 0.8 billion 0.8 billion <- Essentially no losses
> Other 0.2 billion 0.2 billion <- Essentially no losses
>
> Total 12.0 billion 6.5 billion

Thanks, I think that works pretty well. Though, why does Side 4 get eliminated
along with Side 5?

> And once again, I have to say it feels pretty weird to be blithely
> number-crunching billions of fictional corpses. One of the very weird
> things about discussing Gundam history...

Agreed. Definately. Upon reflection, I have a hard time seeing how or why they
didnt stop the war after the first day, when the hundreds of millions started to
pile up. The first day of the OYW would have presumably had more casualties than
any other war in human history!

    Neil