Tomonaga (
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:35:05 +1200

Federico Makabenta wrote:

> To Z and anyone else who's been up to date on military tech:
> I've been reading the news release, there were some things that got me
> curious.
> What are Haptic interfaces?

It's a fancy word for the control system. Haptic interfaces translate human
touch/motion into an electonic signal for operating some device. In this case it
translate human motion into mechanical motion.

> Also, there was some mention of actuators - it's a familiar term used in
> RPGs like battletech - what are those? They have something to do with joints
> right?

Not necessarily just joints but it's a mechanical device which
moves/controls/operates something. eg you can have actuators that open&shut
valves etc.. I guess you could even consider a garage door opener as an
actuator. In robotics and mechs, the most obvious places to find actuators are
in the joints.


Gundam Mailing List Archives are available at

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0b3 on Sat Mar 25 2000 - 12:37:52 JST