garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:36:23 -0800 (PST)

> > i think you missed the point of 0080.
>
> No, I didn't, I understand the point of 0080.
>
> > it's not supposed to be a mecha slugfest, but a
> > character heavy little story to fill in on the
> facts
> > here and there. a story that doesn't get lost in
> too
> > many battle scenes.
>
> I know all this. If its somethings done right, the
> story shouldn't be lost,
> even if there's a batle every episode.

well, i guess it's a matter of taste. 0080 is a very
small side story -- a boy gets a dose of war -- with
very few characters -- you won't get too many mechs in
the first place. and what he gets involved in is
really a minor operation (zeon point of view). it
follows that the mech battles are few and far in
between. you don't have dozens of cannon fodder mechs
blowing each other up for the sake of having a battle
scene, like in practically all mecha series -- where
is the horror of war in that?

between 4 guys and a test pilot, how much battles do
you expect?

i still think of 0080 as a mecha show, and consider it
exceptional *because* it doesn't go over the top with
mecha fighting. :)

as for "the story could have been told without a
gundam", well, as some of the oldtimers say -- the
same could be told of the other gundam series. (in
the case of g gundam, it SHOULD have been told without
the gundams...:P)

-garrick