Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:37:20 -0800

  Okay, that's enough. Let's dish!

> Ep 9 'Colen Calls it Gundam' was the first time someone in the show
> recognised the Turn A as a Gundam and implied that Colen had seen a
> Gundam somewhere before.

  For the uninitiated, Sergeant Koren Nander has been in cold sleep for a
looooong time (presumably more than the mere hundred years Queen Diana's
been on ice), as punishment for using excessive force to suppress rioting
Moonracers. On the one hand, this has left him rather addled (see volume 3
of the video release), but it does give him a lot more historical
perspective than the other characters - he's a link to the forgotten past.

> It is revealed that the Gundam Colen had seen before was a Wing Gundam
> Zero Custom from Endless Waltz.

  Which, as revealed in the Syd Mead interview in Kodansha's "Memory of
First Wind" book, is Mead's favorite Gundam. :-)

> It isn't 100% clear but it appears as if
> Colen was from that time period. There has been some wild? speculation
> already that he could be Zechs Marquis as he apparently had long hair
> instead of bald when he was younger.

  Very interesting. I don't think he could be Zechs - it's hard to imagine
"Preventer Wind" gunning down demonstrators - but it would make a certain
amount of sense if the Wing era was the most recent one before the time of
Turn A. (After all, that's the only Gundam era in which true peace was
actually achieved.)

  From Comic BomBom's adaptation, it appears that the space colonies
actually did what we all expected them too - strapped on rocket engines and
flew away to other star systems. Japanese fans have speculated that the Turn
X, a psycommu-capable mobile suit "from outside the solar system," is the
creation of a newtype society that was part of this great exodus.

  Since Gundam X uses the same space colonies as UC Gundam, we can guess
that the UC era leads to Gundam X, after which the first-generation space
colonists decide that the best way to prevent getting dropped on the ruined
Earth is to get the heck out of the solar system. Perhaps the trashed Earth
of G Gundam is the same pockmarked, colony-dropped planet seen in Gundam X?

  I'm not sure where G Gundam should fit into this picture, but at some
point history cycles round again and we get Gundam Wing. At the end of
Gundam Wing, Relena and her cohorts are planning a program of terraforming
and planetary colonization to end the hostilities between Earth and the
colonies, which may end up with the _Wing_ colonies being adapted into
interstellar generation ships.

  Then, finally, Turn A!

  Incidentally, "Memory of First Wind" has lots of line art of the Cannon
Irfute, revealing that it has a linear seat identical to the ones used in
F91. The accompanying text confirms that it dates from between F91 and V
Gundam. Meanwhile, the Irfute and the spaceship Willgem are supposedly about
2300 years old, which indicates that year zero of the Turn A calendar
probably does match up pretty well with year zero of the UC calendar.

  I also note that in the episode "Anice Power!", the old farmer woman
claims that her family have been working that spot of land for 1500 years,
at the beginning of which it was almost uninhabitable. That presumably tells
us when the planet last got thrashed. :-)

> The April issue of Comic Bon Bon which came out on the 15th March
> apparently has a lot of spoilers- i.e most/all of the ending but it
> seems it features some MS (eg OZ-10VMSX Gundam Asklapuos from Gundam
> Wing Dual Story G Unit) that will not appear in the TV series.

  I think that's a little bit of self-promotion by Comic BomBom and artist
Koichi Tokita. They always like to slide in little in-jokey references to
their own stories. :-)

-- Mark