Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 01:10:39 -0800

>Hey thanks for the info and the fast response. A few followup questions...
>

>> - 1/100 scale: often described as "almost MG quality", this kit has metal
>> parts in its legs due to the heavy fin funnels it carries. Even with
>the
>> metal parts, the kit can still be hard to balance. Mine has to be in a
>> leaning forward stance so it won't fall.
>>
>I'm assuming that both the 1/100 and the 1/144's are the typical precolored
>snap together but-look-better-with-glue-and-paint style?

I forgot to mention that the CCA kits were Bandai's first attempt at
snap-together kits for Gundam. I think they might have been experimenting
with two approaches, because the 0080 kits came out around the same time
and they were snap-assembly kits too. However, CCA kits required metal
screws and Bandai went with the screw-less approach for 99.9% of the Gundam
kits released after that.

As far as painting go, they haven't introduced System Injection yet, so
painting is actually required for CCA kits, although they look fairly OK
without paint, especially the 1/100 kit.

>Shudder =)
>This is far and away beyond my skill level. Cool to know its out there
>though.

Dunno if the B Club kits are still available, there are a lot of recasts
(bootlegs made in Hong Kong or other Asian countries) floating around,
and quality varies.

>I just thought to search eBay with "RX-93" intead of Nu Gundam and had some
>better results.

Yeah, a lot of people mistake the Greek letter Nu for "V"...

>I came up with
>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=265290905

WHAT A RIPOFF!!!!

>What exactly is a HCM? Says High Complete model, but that looks more like a
>toy to me ... ?

HCM is a legendary line of toys released by Bandai during the mid 80s.
The line started with a couple of MSV designs, and eventually incorporated
designs from Zeta Gundam, Vifam, Macross, etc. The Nu Gundam is the only
CCA entry in the HCM collection, like the auction said, it was the HCM's
swan song.

Although Bandai called the line High Complete Models, they are actually
more like the Kado Senshi Chogokin Gundam toys, except the HCMs were
made of plastic (some joints could have been metal, and usually some assembly
is required too) and aren't as great with flexible joints, but for their days
they kicked serious ass, because they were more durable than assembled model
kits, and are often better articulated than their plastic model counterparts.

The HCMs from the Zeta and ZZ era (Mark II, Zeta, HiZak, Hyaku Shiki,
and ZZ, with the Rick Dias sorely missing) have been reissued by Bandai
as part of the 20th Anniversary Big Bang Project. HCMs of L. Gaim Mk-II and
Geller Walker have also been reissued along with the aforementioned Gundam
HCMs. Sadly, the MSV ones (Full Armor Gundam, MS-06R-1A, MS-06R-2, YMS-09
Prototype Dom, MS-14C Gelgoog Cannon) and the Macross Valkyrie HCMs were
not reissued with them.

>That one definately looks like the sort of thing I'd want to buy.

Not at that price. You'll thank me when you find out how much it sucked.
Just look at the lack of detailing on the fin funnel and the weapons, add
weird/weak joints and you will think twice about blowing $100+ on this
thing. It's in 1/144 scale, BTW. The plastic model's proportions are
way better than this toy.

>Finally, what would one expect to pay, on average, for the 1/100 and 1/144
>w/ fin funnel model kits,
>assuming I can find them? Anyone know of any online stores that I should
>checj?

Check with HobbyLink Japan or Rainbow Ten. The 1/100 scale kit is 2,500 yen
so it's about $25 before shipping (domestic stores charge anywhere between
$25 and $50 for it). The fully equipped 1/144 kit is 1,000 yen, which is
about $10, or $10-$20 in domestic stores. You might want to get the 1/100
kit, its cockpit opens, and the fin funnels can seperate and fold, too.

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0