Brett Jensen (heero@earthlink.net)
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 20:00:45 -0800

Mark Simmons wrote:

> Another interesting trend in recent movies (including The Matrix,
> Office Space, Fight Club): The concept of modern-day society as a
> coercive, oppressive system that must be literally battled and destroyed.
> The Matrix and Fight Club both view modern life as an invisible prison, a
> form of mental slavery that can only be opposed by violence. I'm reminded
> of the "invisible prison" concept of Philip K. Dick's later books, the
> notion that we're living in an "iron empire" that's enslaved our minds to
> the point that we can't even see the chains any more. Why this renewed
> streak of paranoid morbidity, in a time of unprecedented prosperity and
> opportunity? What do you think?
>
> -- Mark

Environmental decay, Loss of Privacy, Decline of discipline in our children,
an Education system that turns out ignoramuses, a media that inflates all of
the problems in society, and makes far away horrors seem all too close,
multinational corperations whose influence and power are truly frightening...
Take your pick.

It's pretty scary how much stuff from 80s Cyberpunk novels has already come
to pass.

This has been another cheerful message from:
Brett Jensen ^_^