Sean O'Mara (weyland_yutani@mindspring.com)
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 18:21:44 -0700

Mark Simmons wrote:

> > Tell me what's common between: the Matrix, Dilbert, Office Space,
> >American Beauty and we will see more of that in the next few years.
>
> Another interesting trend in recent movies (including The Matrix,
> Office Space, Fight Club): The concept of modern-day society as a
> coercive, oppressive system that must be literally battled and destroyed.
> The Matrix and Fight Club both view modern life as an invisible prison, a
> form of mental slavery that can only be opposed by violence. I'm reminded
> of the "invisible prison" concept of Philip K. Dick's later books, the
> notion that we're living in an "iron empire" that's enslaved our minds to
> the point that we can't even see the chains any more. Why this renewed
> streak of paranoid morbidity, in a time of unprecedented prosperity and
> opportunity? What do you think?

I think the paranoid morbidity comes from our age of being "connected." The
whole Y2K scam showed people how much we rely on computers, as well as
bringing attention to how much others know about us (or can find out) using
computers. Not too long ago I saw something on the news about this device
that you put on your dashboard, and when you go through the drive through at
McDonalds, it automatically deducts the amount of your purchase from an
account housed on the device, which ties into a larger computer somewhere
else. One of the people they asked about it said they disliked it, that it
reminded him of Big Brother. I think people are afraid that with all our
advances and networking, it will be easier for us to be monitored and
possibly controlled. This leads to our viewing society with it's computers
as a prison, or as a potential prison.

Sean

--
weyland_yutani@mindspring.com

"Do nothing which is of no use." -Miyamoto Musashi