Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 15:14:14 -0800

CT Chin writes,

>Well then you can say I haven't seen a modern mecha that I like yet.
>Wait, I like Garasaki's Tactical Armour, but those are pretty much fancy
>SF3D, which was 80s again.

  I'd say the '90s specialty was super robots - Gaogaigar, Giant Robot,
the Kishin Corps 'bots, and the very retro Getter 1 were some of the best
designs of recent years.

>I guess my point is that in the 70s you have 40-200m tall robots, Gundam
>shrunk it down to 20m, Macross shrunk it down to 15m, Shirow shrunk it
>down to 3-4m, BGC down to 2m.

  What about Dougram (early '80s, less than ten meters), Ideon (1981, 105
meters), Gunbuster (late '80s, 200 meters), Votoms (early '80s, 4
meters), Dunbine (1983, 8 meters), Galient (mid '80s, 12 meters),
Patlabor (late '80s, 8 meters), Layzner (mid '80s, 10 meters)...? Giant
robot heights have always been all over the place, whatever suits the
story best. Recent super robots - Gaogaigar, Zeorhymer, Shin Getter,
Giant Robo - are in the 30-50 meter range, several times larger than the
'bots in Layzner, Dunbine, Dougram or Votoms. In fact, the TAs of
Gasaraki are the same size as the ATs of Votoms, fifteen years earlier
(though they're infinitely more agile and acrobatic).

> Tell me what's common between: the Matrix, Dilbert, Office Space,
>American Beauty and we will see more of that in the next few years.

  Another interesting trend in recent movies (including The Matrix,
Office Space, Fight Club): The concept of modern-day society as a
coercive, oppressive system that must be literally battled and destroyed.
The Matrix and Fight Club both view modern life as an invisible prison, a
form of mental slavery that can only be opposed by violence. I'm reminded
of the "invisible prison" concept of Philip K. Dick's later books, the
notion that we're living in an "iron empire" that's enslaved our minds to
the point that we can't even see the chains any more. Why this renewed
streak of paranoid morbidity, in a time of unprecedented prosperity and
opportunity? What do you think?

-- Mark