garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:48:42 -0800 (PST)

> > Can anyone learn to draw?
>
> Yup. It just takes patience and practice. Some
> people have the knack for it
> while others don't. I don't but I did learn a lot. I
> can copy almost
> anything I see and draw an equivalent of it given
> time - this skill I
> learned only with a lot of hard work.

uhm, i agree with fed. surprise. :P

i used to draw on everything i could get my hands on.
books (not mine), notebooks (my classmates), exam
papers (during exam *sigh*).

some have the talent, some don't. but the only sure
way to find out is if you keep hitting at it. i am
self-taught all the way. observing and studying
others' works goes a long way, too.

> As for composition and making things out of your
> imagination, that takes
> time and instruction. If you have any art schools
> nearby that teach
> anatomy - like comic book artist schools - I'd
> recommend those. You'd really
> improve under those conditions.
>
> My people consist of two circles one for the head
> > and one for the torso/lower body and stick limbs.
> What drawing books are
> best
> > to start out with? My drawings look like something
> from, well, third grade
> :(

i taught myself from burne hogarth's books -- dynamic
anatomy, dynamic figure drawing, heads, hands, drapery
and wrinkles, light & shading. after you study all
the technical aspects, everything else is your
prerogative -- practice what you learn (and practice
some more) and observe EVERYTHING you can (this time
with an artist's eye). if i'm not mistaken, burne
hogarth teaches art either in chicago or new york.
not at all close to manga style, but if you've got the
proportions, anatomy and technicalities mastered, you
can very easily switch to manga style drawing.

> Direct instruction is the best. Nothing like someone
> criticizing outright
> what's wrong with your drawing. Best pointer is to
> be not too sensitive
> about being criticized. Most artists have to climb
> this wall before they
> become really good. You should show your drawings as
> often as possible as
> well to gain insight how it is perceived by others.

you should pick smart critics and those who know what
they're talking about. fellow artists will have more
insights, definitely. plenty of people will either
say "it's cool" or "it sucks". ignore them.

the biggest stumbling block, by far, might be drawing
the opposite gender.

> > I can draw decent looking 2D vechicles by using
> graph paper. I need
> something
> > to help me draw stuff to look 3D and something to
> help me draw people and
> > humanoid robots.
>
> Anyone can draw 2D. 3D is a bit tricky with
> foreshortening (viewing objects
> from an angle that makes faraway points seem
> smaller) and such. Even more if
> you're not used to drawing things with unusual
> shapes like Zakus and such.
> But once you get the humanoid figure right - you're
> there. What you need is
> structure.

not really, fed. that's the odd thing i've observed
with anime bots. they all take off from the *manga*
style drawing.

manga style and orthodox western style drawings have
totally different proportions. the most glaring
difference is in the legs...they're leaner than usual
(and the lower leg noticeably longer than the upper).
the mecha as we know them wouldn't look so good with
the standard non-manga human proportions. they'd
probably look like the bolt gundam. :P otoh, an
extreme example of manga mechs would be the endless
waltz gundams or macross valkyries (and i honestly
cannot figure out how all those mechs kneel down...).

> Try doing this for human figures: Whenever you draw
> - make a structure
> underneath as much as possible.

try drawing basic 3d objects for the human figure:
cylinders for the arms and legs, boxes for the upper
and lower torso and an egg for the head. what you've
got is a mannequin (or template) which you can fill
out once you've mastered the human anatomy.

> What my friend used
> to do (pro-artist at
> Avalon comics currently) is to study professional
> basketball players because
> you get a clear idea how a bone structure is in
> relation to how the human
> body acts.

aye. for myself, in a case study of the anatomy in
motion, i watch pro wrestling. :P

anyway, i'd also like to know where this
how-to-draw-manga book is available.

-garrick