mirai y (zafikel@hotmail.com)
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 22:36:13 EST

>From: Richie Ramos <gaijin@i-manila.com.ph>

>the direction I'd like mecha to go into is probably to make them go back
>into a mix of superrobot and mecha...-- and if not that, then off to
>wildstuff like escaflowne.

Speaking of which - the new show that started running on TV Tokyo, "Earth
Defense Company: Daiguard" takes that turn. It's a half-comedy spoof on
Super-robot and Tokusatsu genre. Basic story is that the Earth Defense
Company is created after these monsters appear out of nowhere and destroy
parts of Earth. The monsters eventually stop coming out and the Company
becomes a laughing stock. In order to create a more "positive" image for
itself, they build a "super robot" - mainly for looks only. Then in the
first episode, the first monster in many years suddenly appear out of the
ocean...

I've only seen the first 3 episodes, but old fans of Tokusatsu (Ultraman,
Godzilla) and super robot would appreciate it...lots of humor.

mirai