Brett Jensen (heero@earthlink.net)
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 16:10:20 -0800

Edward Ju wrote:

All I said was that "I" Do not like Evangelion and That "I" think that Anno's vision
(Within the context of Evangelion) Is Nihilistic. There was no reason for you to get
so defensive.

> So any kind of entertainment with an end-of-world-as-we-know-it kind of
> apocalypse is nihilistic? Or are you just basing it straight off the
> body count, since no matter how many characters Tomino killed, it cannot
> top Eva's wiping off the earth's entire population ?

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said that I had a problem with high Body
counts or gore or anything like that. Many of my favorite shows have such themes,
for instance: In Macross most of the people on earth were wiped out during the
orbital Bombardment, The Red Shoulder batallions Planet destroying attrocities in
VOTOMS, The Zeon and Titans Genocide in Gundam etc...

I'd say it has more to do with the message of (End of) Evangelion: "Life isn't worth
shit, and it isn't gonna get any better, so we might all just as well die."

> You also have to take into consideration about how Eva became this out-of-
> control behemoth and EoE was probably Anno's reaction to the unexpected
> fandom, or the up-yours to the powers that be that dictated the original
> endings need to be replaced by what turned out to be the TV series' ending.

I agree, I found the live action part of the audience in stunned silence to be very
telling. ^_^

> The great thing about Eva is it's not afraid to show what's wrong with this
> world, or, more specifically, what's wrong with people's heads. If you
> can't stomach that because it hits kind of close to home, you can always
> check out Pokemon or Doraemon, and pretend that God's in His Heaven, all's
> right with this world. ;)

Note the comment about being pretty pessimistic myself. You don't know me so, again
don't put words in my mouth. I tend to prefer Depressing or melencholy anime. but
you've got to balance that with a little Humanity.

> I dunno man, Tomino never really developed Matilda's character, all we know
> is that we're supposed to care because Amuro has a crush on her. We don't
> even really know what makes this character tick, except it feels awfully
> manipulative when she bought the farm.
>
> Oh poor Bernie. Now that's nihilistic. ;)

I never said that a character had to Die nobly for a cause or anything. all I meant
was that the characters who die in various Gundam anime serve to further the "War is
Hell" theme.

yeah, Matilda was a bit of a stretch but Bernie and Emma's deaths were genuinely
moving (IMO)

---Brett Jensen