Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:56:43 -0800

>Following up on Eddie's summary of the F91 novels...
>
>> <SPOILER>

>> there's a whole
>> subplot about how his son went into politcs, became a young leader admired
>> by many because of his ability to go against the oldfart bureacrats, but he
>> died at an early age
>
> The substance of Hauserie Ronah's political career is also highly
>relevant. Basically, by the second century UC, the human population has
>rebounded from the genocide of the One Year War. The colonies, which were
>briefly underpopulated after the war, have filled up again and turned into
>overcrowded slums. The Ronah family decide that something has to be done
>about the population problem (you even get scenes of them discussing the
>farsighted Giren Zabi, and sighing that his extreme population-control
>measures aren't feasible in the current political climate!).
>
> For the most part, Hausery Ronah's political causes are all related to
>population and ecology - pollution cleanup, euthanasia, stuff like that.

I forgot to mention that the Frontier Projects (rebuilding colonies into
decent neighborhoods with the old frontier vibe, as seen in the movie)
was Hauserie's solution to the slum problems.

>His
>assassination (in UC 0118) convinces the family that they can't fix the
>problem through regular politics, whereupon they launch the Rafflesia
>Project that culminates in the creation of the genocide machines known as
>Bugs.

Hmm, I thought Lafressia was Iron Mask's own baby - he kind of B.S.'ed
his father-in-law about how this gadget will be the next evolution for
mankind, and he wanted to use himself as guinea pig (it does require an
artificially strengthed pilot to operate, thus the plethora of wires in
the cockpit that attaches to his head), but I think the old man didn't
know a thing about the bugs just like Sabine was not part of his close
circle of psychos. The assassination was more of a trigger for old Ronah's
resolution to go about it with force in the form of Crossbone Vanguard.

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0