mirai y (zafikel@hotmail.com)
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:53:18 EST

>Now I feel old. How long have some of you out there been following Gundam?

I first watched it in '79 - came highly recommended from my cousin who was
also a big anime fan, who had been taping the show from the start. I had
already been an anime freak several years prior to that... so I go WAY back.
  I've basically followed the entire evolution of Japanese anime. (starting
with Tetsuwan Atomu in black & white - the first animated Japanese TV show)

>My first exposure to Gundam was in the early 80's. Eventually it peaked at
>around Zeta and fell to the wayside for about 10 years. Now that I'm
>working/married and have Internet access, all my old hobbies in my younger
>days have come back.

My interest in Gundam also waned after Zeta. I watched anime now and then
as I can get my hands on them, but found very few stuff I really liked. In
the past few years, I started collecting anime again for my boys. It's a
good way for them to learn some Japanese (hence, all anime in my household
is in Japanese or subbed)

>My wife even gave me the boxed set of series II of
>Star Blazers for my b-day after seeing me pull out the old Beta max and all
>the old anime that I had accumulated like Zeta, 0079 and Macross (aren't I
>lucky)

Lucky you! My Beta max tapes of Uchu Senkan Yamato, Gatchaman, Gundam,
Ideon, Votoms are long gone...

>Wow how time flies. Can you guess that I'm in my early 30's and still
>building models, watching cartoons and playing videogames.

I'm in my late 30's ... I collect anime and Gundam stuff under the guise of
"the kids like it". (And Yes! My younger son is hooked on Gundam Wing after
seeing it in English, and asking for more Gundam stuff! He took his models
to school with him today to show off to his friends...) My kids and their
friends think I'm really cool.

mirai