Sean O'Mara (weyland_yutani@mindspring.com)
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:06:36 -0700

Chien Ting Chin wrote:

> For Scifi shows, I think the trend is well set in the cyberpunks, I think
> the worlds set up by Masamune Shirow and Bubblegum Crisis is the way to
> go. It makes sense if you remember the 70s and 80s were about the moon
> race, space shuttle, cold war, Toyota robots etc etc. So you have mecha
> shows with one side (good guy = USA/Japan) against another side (evil
> empire = USSR/China). The 90s and 00s are about the net, hackers, virtual
> reality, genetic manipulation, cloning. The conflicts is between
> individual free-thinkers and mega-commercial-political-conglomerates.

I think the time of cyberpunk has come and gone. Gibson's Neuromancer, Scott's Blade
Runner, Bubblegum Crisis, Ghost in the Shell, all were made in the 80's. Well, GiTS
was 1990, but still close. Cyberpunk in general outlines a very different, much darker
future than the one we will probably have. While many elements of cyberpunk have made
their way into our society, I think true cyberpunk is over. Gibson's current works are
much more post-cyberpunk if anything, the new Bubblegum Crisis from what I've seen
doesn't appear to share much of the same mood with the original, I think our idea of
what the future will be like is different.

> I am happy enough leaving Gundam and the mecha genre the way it is. The
> only recent mechas that catch my eyes are small ones like the Bonaparte
> tank, Fuchikomas and the BGC suits, ie supporting roles in the cyberpunk
> stories. Let's move on.

All of those mecha aren't very new. The Hardsuits from Bubblegum Crisis (1986), the
Fuchikomas from GiTS (1990), Bonaparte from Dominion Tank Police (which I think is
late 80's or early 90's). While cyberpunk is a cool genre, the fact that most of it
has come true (huge corporations, the net, etc) tends to make it less open to
innovation and it turns into "modern sci-fi."

Sean

--
weyland_yutani@mindspring.com

"Do nothing which is of no use." -Miyamoto Musashi