Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
10 Mar 2000 17:33:25 -0000

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:58:25 -0800 Brett Jensen <heero@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Edward Ju wrote:
>
>Um, in original Gundam not that many main charas died. True Z and ZZ are blood
>baths, but in Z atleast the characters died to reinforce the horrors of war theme.
>What did the Charas in Eva die for?

See below for my answers.

>WARNING SPOILERS FOR MSG, ZETA, AND 0080 AHEAD

> I was Far more moved by the deaths of Matilda in MSG, or the Death of Emma in Zeta,
>or the Death of Bernie in 0080, than I was any of the 2 dimensional Charas in
>Evangelion.
>
>---Brett Jensen

Rei II-died to prevent the death of one of the few people she loved (Shinji). They say there is no greater sign of love than the willingness to sacrifice one's self for those they love.

Misato-died to protect her surrogate son, Shinji, and through him perhaps save humanity. And thus, redeem her past failings in the eyes of her father and Kaji.

Ritsuko-died because she placed too much faith in her "mother" agreeing with her over the man they both loved. Died trying to prevent the schemes of her lover, whose policies and actions she could no longer agree with (and hey, if it causes him some pain, so much the better).

Kaji-died trying to bring the truth behind the conspiracies into the open.

Gendou-died trying to bring about the grand future he saw for humanity (Char anyone?).

Asuka-died in pursuit of trying to prove to herself that she was not useless (who hasn't heard stories of people doing this?), and attempting to defend those she cared about (even if she couldn't bring herself to admit it.

Kaworu-died so that the humanity and human culture might still exist, rather than being destroyed and replaced by that of the Angels.

Humanity as a whole-"died" to bring about the next stage in human evolution (again, Char's plan for Earth in CCA anyone?).

Alot of the characters in Eva died to bring about what they individually considered the greater good, whether for an individual or humanity as a collective whole.

Maltida died to save a few people. I admit, that is a noble cause, but she and maybe her husband (fiance? Can't remember) were about the only characters in the original series I gave a damn about (maybe Char as well, but that is iffy). Otherwise, out of the 9 or so Gundam series/movies I've seen or read anything on, the only characters I could bring myself to care for were Shiro and Aina, Camille and Four and Fa Yuri, Garoud and Tifa. Otherwise, I could care less. At least in Evangelion, I found myself actually caring deeply for most of the important characters, and found that they had actual personalities, ones that I could identify with. In alot of Gundam series, the characters just seem so wooden and stereotypical of other series.

Roland