Brett Jensen (heero@earthlink.net)
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:58:25 -0800

Edward Ju wrote:

> Criticising Anno for being nihilistic while he was the
> one that kills off Gundam characters for breakfast just doesn't sound
> very smart.

Have you seen "the End of Evangelion" movie? If you can watch that and not think
he's Nihilistic...you are in denial. The reason that I went from kinda liking Eva to
hating it is that: "over pessimistic self pittying attitude" and I'm pretty bloody
pessimistic myself.

> At least Anno is masterful enough to develop his characters
> to a point where the audience cares about them, which makes their death
> to have more impact. With Tomino's characters, you pretty much expect
> just about everyone to die given his propensity to drop them like flies.
> Tomino really can't blame anyone for not wanting to make emotional
> investment in his Gundam characters later on.

Um, in original Gundam not that many main charas died. True Z and ZZ are blood
baths, but in Z atleast the characters died to reinforce the horrors of war theme.
What did the Charas in Eva die for?

WARNING SPOILERS FOR MSG, ZETA, AND 0080 AHEAD

 I was Far more moved by the deaths of Matilda in MSG, or the Death of Emma in Zeta,
or the Death of Bernie in 0080, than I was any of the 2 dimensional Charas in
Evangelion.

---Brett Jensen