Fri, 10 Mar 2000 01:48:34 -0500 (EST)

Mark Simmons wrote:
> Sure does. I was a little surprised that Turn A is heading in this
> direction, but after the way Tomino pulled everything together at the end of
> Brain Powered, I'll give the man credit and see how he resolves this series.

True, true. Remember Tomino made some big promises back when Turn-A was
only a Syd Mean illustration? Seems like so far he's been delivering.
Let's wait and see.

> nothing to prove in this area.) Rather, it's a challenge to the _real_ theme
> of Evangelion, which I'd sum up as "everybody is screwed up by their rotten
> childhoods and can't ever get the hell over it, even if it means the end of
> the world."

Well I suppose you can call that a theme of NGE, I would call that a
criticism, because:

> In interviews, Tomino's expressed his horror at Eva's
> nihilistic, self-pitying message,

That's a pretty good description of the problems of NGE. But there are
some good religious/human destiny/meaning of life themes in NGE that's
bigger than life.

> *Tomino claims that he started planning Brain Powered before Evangelion
> came out, but while working on the series, he saw Eva and Princess Mononoke
> and admits to being somewhat influenced by both. Certainly, Mononoke's
> fairytale ecological parable seems like the sort of thing that would
> interest Tomino, but it too has a streak of fatalism - mankind and nature
> can never coexist, one must conquer the other - that's distinctly lacking
> from Tomino's newest work.

I can see where Tomino is coming from, but a lot of UC Gundam is pretty
pessimistic (with regard to human nature) too. Anyway, enough talk from
me. Let's just wait and see what Big Answer Tomino cooks up in Turn-A.

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble