Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 12:24:56 +0800

>> Lots of anime fans, American and Japanese, do cosplay(dress up as anime
>> characters at conventions). What's different about that then dressing up
as a
>> Klingon? I m no Trekkie, but there's no difference. Some fans of
anything go
>> crazy over this stuff.
>That's exactly my point. They are too concerned about the worthless
details (the
>display in engineering was never *that* color/the uniforms are
single-seamed, not
>double, dumbass/etc.) and don't look at the product as a whole. We have a
bunch
>of artists here who are young and, well, geeky. They recently went on an
>hourlong conversation about which was more realistic, Star Wars or Star Trek.
>Are you shitting me? They both are far far away from any realism. This
is what
>I meant about a straight answer. They are almost incapable of separating
fantasy
>from reality. They won't admit that it's "just a movie" or whatever. I
went to
>go see Star Trek III at the Cinerama Dome and there were these two clowns in
>front of me talking about how we could build a warpdrive right now (circa
>whatever year that movie came out), it really works, etc. When you get to
the
>point that some of those guys get then it turns into a religion, the
fanatics are
>so obsessed with "the future" or how cool it would be to live in that
universe
>that they give up on the now, all the thousands of cool and wonderful
things that
>are going on around them. I have no time for that crap. I really like
Star Trek
>and Gundam and Star Wars and such but I'm not going to dedicate my life to
them,
>I'm not going to turn down a date with a girl who should be in Playboy
because
>that's the night of the two hour finale of the Voyager season or anything
idiotic
>like that.
>I did not mean to imply that the separate act of trying your hand at
recreating a
>costume or outfit equals fanaticism, by the way. I meant the hardcores
out there
>that are ready to name their first born after a great Klingon warrior or
>something equally spastic.

Although I have a fanatical love for gundam, I refuse to let it ruin my
real life. Even though it's being shown on TV here, I have no qualms at
all of just renting the episodes, precisely because I dn't like the idea of
disrupting my daysked just for a tv show wich probably has better
translations in rented copies. Neither do I bother too much about
believeing if it could be real. It's a cartoon for heaven's sake, and
while I acknowledge that the base technology for SOME of it is possible,
the level of tech in gundam is...fantasy. Why waste time arguing if it can
be done or not? it's a cartoon, it's sci-fi, fi as in fiction. sure, it
has extrapolations of real-life tech, but we should just take it as ooh and
aah.

As for cosplay...I like it when someone can come up with a damn good
costume and look good in it. BUT, when they start naming their kids after
favorite cartoon characters...eeek.

..silence is the language of the heart...

Richard Ramos

ICQ 12914919, 141667284 (pager), 09174024780 (cel)

if you want to see some of my work, go over to www.localvibe.com
if you like japanese cartoon robots, subscribe to mechapinoy@egroups.com